MV Alligator a Biloxi Lugger
Email g.carlson AT carlsondesign DOT com, 539 S Trenton Ave, Tulsa, OK, 74120
|Designed/built by Bob & Ching Walters, commissioned 2001
|Just 19,000 pounds dry (32,000 gross)
|300 gallons in three tanks
|800 gallons in two tanks
|9-10 knots @ 3+ MPG
|John Deere 4045 TFM diesel, 130 hp
|Aquadrive CV joint drive shaft turning a 24 inch 4 blade prop, in a mild tunnel
Alligator has proven herself to be a fast, safe, tough, and capable cruiser, covering twenty eight thousand miles in perfect comfort during the past 4 years. Walter’s goal was to build a vessel that would be superior to the average cruising powerboat in every way. There is simply no comparison between this Biloxi Lugger and the typical “built to a price” production trawler. She was designed and constructed in Pensacola, FL, by Walters Boat building company, a business officially accepted by the U.S. Coast guard as a recreational boat manufacturer. Alligator is Coast Guard documented and was issued a Hull Identification Number by the U.S. Coast Guard. Alligator won first place in at the prestigious Wooden Boat Festival in Madisonville, Louisiana, the largest gathering of Luggers in the world.
The hull is cold molded African mahogany with a light sheathing of fiberglass cloth set in West System Epoxy. This, along with her Awlgrip exterior paint makes her maintenance schedule similar to that of a fiberglass boat, but Alligator is smooth and quiet, stiff and strong, and outperforms the average pleasure trawler by a wide margin. Most interior furniture is bright finished Honduras mahogany. This easily handled vessel is optimized for a live-aboard couple, but she can sleep up to six as well as feed and entertain plenty of your friends.
Alligator is fully outfitted for long-term live-aboard cruising. Every component was carefully selected to be robust and as bulletproof as possible. The equipment list includes:
- 3.5 kW diesel genset plus a 4.5 kW hydraulic genset.
- 3.5 kW inverter.
- 8 large solar panels producing an 960 watts of 12-volt power.
- Large 880-amp hour house battery bank.
- Load sensing, engine driven hydraulic pump, powering:
- Oversize vertical windlass w/chain gypsy and drum
- Custom hydraulic bow thruster
- Hydraulic generator
- High-pressure (2500psi) fresh-water wash down pump.
- Village Marine Tec 250 gpd water maker.
- Well insulated, 15 ft3 holding plate style 115-volt refrigerator/freezer in the galley.
- Holding plate style deep freeze with a separate 115-volt condenser unit.
- Refrigerated cold drink cooler on the aft deck.
- Large head with bathtub/shower and electric fresh water flush toilet.
- Sat TV, Cruise TV dome system tracks in azimuth and elevation even in rough seas.
- Sophisticated PC based navigation and instrument system linked to autopilot.
- Radar and wind instruments.
- Flow Scan brand fuel flow meter with instant MPG reading.
- Air compressor and onboard hookah type diving air supply.
- HF weather fax system.
- Powerful PC computer and photo quality printer.
- Extra large “tow boat style” spotlight.
- Avon RIB dinghy with 15 hp Yamaha outboard.
- Oversized ground tackle, w/200 feet of ½ inch BBB chain, on hydraulic windlass.
- Full sized Bosch washer and dryer.